Join Me

I hope you enjoy reading about my life as a girl on a mission to Save the Lost (Luke 19:10). As I embark on this journey traveling where ever the Lord takes me I pray you will come with me in you thoughts and prayer.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Soften up this Harden Clay


So, Thursday marks 2 months that I have been here in Ghana. Thursday also marks the day I hated Ghana the most (so far)…let me explain.

On Thursday I experienced culture shock; it was something I was warned about and that I read about, but had not experienced it. Culture shock doesn’t come from one event in particular but usually a bunch of small things. It’s the point where your body can no longer take the non-western thinking around you. I wasn’t homesick.  I was frustrated with everything African.

I hated the way I felt. I am a missionary, I’m supposed to be saving the lost and I don’t even want to talk to them. No matter how much people told me it was normal to feel this way I didn’t feel normal.
"A reflection of You I long to be"
Here’s the thing. No matter how much I hated everything African on Thursday, that didn’t change the call God has on my life. No matter how bad I wanted to go home, it didn’t change the fact that I still have work to do here. Being a missionary doesn’t mean you always love everything you are surrounded by, it sometimes means wanting to lock yourself in a room and never speak to another local.

About 3 years back I heard someone say to a future solider, “The point of basic training is to break you, so even though you go in a civilian you come out a solider”. Today God reminded me of this. He is breaking me and molding me into exactly what he wants me to be. It doesn’t always feel good. Being a missionary is not all feel good moments, but I will come out of this a different person than when I came in.

So as you pray for me and other missionaries pray that strength abounds. Pray that we understand no matter what our emotions say the call God has on our lives stands strong. Remember to encourage missionaries you know, being on the field away from everything familiar is hard, it’s nice to know you have people at home rooting for you. I love you guys.

1 comment: